The University of Leeds are looking for volunteers for their Chronic Illness & Disability Project, which offers students an opportunity to learn by experience about what is like to have, or to care for someone who has, a chronic illness or disability.
The university has worked for several years with community groups, including Sunshine & Smiles, who provide volunteers who talk to medical students about their experiences of illness or disability and the impact it has on their lives.
Each volunteer family is paired with two first-year medical students who will make a single visit in either February or March 2020. Volunteers usually arrange to meet the student pair in their home or another convenient place (this must be
within 60 minutes of Leeds city centre by public transport). Meetings usually last about an hour.
The students who visit will be interested in your experiences and stories. This might include:
- How you manage with your illness or disability (or that of someone you care for).
- What you think about this illness or disability.
- How things might have changed over time, or since the diagnosis.
- The impact the illness or disability has had on your life and of others close to you.
- Your experiences of medical and other support services.
All information will be treated in confidence but if there is anything you would prefer not to discuss, please do not feel under any pressure to do so.
If you are able to help with this project, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Telephone Number
- Email address
Sunshine & Smiles hope you can help!