Email Phone
Sunshine & Smiles

Government Funding and Benefits


If you have a disabled child under 16, you may be able to claim Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for them.  DLA has two components. The care component can be claimed from 3 months if your child has care needs which are more than most children of their age. The mobility component can be claimed from 3 years if your child has problems with getting around. If your child is 16 or over they may be able to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP) instead of DLA. DLA and PIP are complex benefits, but also work as ‘passports’ to other benefits.

Click here for the government information about DLA. Please do get in contact with us at Sunshine and Smiles for help and advice on applying for DLA. 

This link is a video guide for completing a DLA form for children made by Carers Leeds and Irwin Mitchell - it's quite long but families who have used it have found it really helpful!

Also other links to helpful guides regarding DLA for children with learning needs: 

A step by step guide by an organisation called 'Sky Badger' on filling out the DLA form

A guide to DLA by Cerebra

Information on DLA from Contact

Universal Credit

If you are on a low income and you are not already claiming Income Support, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance, Housing Benefit or tax credits, you could consider claiming Universal Credit (UC). It can include extra amounts for a disabled child who is on DLA or PIP, called a disabled child element.

Here is the government information on Universal Credit


Carer’s allowance

If you are a carer for your disabled child and they get the middle or higher rate care component of DLA, or the daily living component of PIP, you may be able to get Carer’s Allowance. If you are thinking of taking up work you may want to consider the effect it may have on your entitlement to Carer’s Allowance. 

Here is the government information on Carer's Allowance 


Tax credits 

Child Tax Credit is a benefit for people on low incomes responsible for children. You can only get this if you have an existing Child tax credit or Working tax credit claim, otherwise you should claim Universal Credit instead. You may get more Child Tax Credit if your child gets DLA or PIP. Make sure you tell the Tax Credit Office what rate of DLA or PIP your child is getting. 

Here is the government infomation about Child Tax Credit


Housing Benefit and Council tax reduction

You can no longer make a new claim for Housing benefit, otherwise you should claim universal credit instead. If you are already on housing benefit, the calculation will be different if your children are on DLA or PIP, so make sure the local authority know about this. In addition, the number of bedrooms allowed for in the Housing Benefit (HB) calculation could be higher if your children are unable to share a room because of disability and they are on DLA or PIP. Again make sure the local authority are aware.

Here is the government information about Housing Benefit

Here is some useful information about Council Tax Reduction


Sign up to our newsletter

Sunshine & Smiles will ensure your personal details are held securely to enable us to contact you moving forwards in line with our privacy notice.
We will never share them with anyone else. If you'd like to stop receiving our emails, please just contact us.